Wednesday, December 16, 2009

care packages, condiments, coffee



I awoke this evening 11:30 PM to get ready for work. I usually get up early and go work out prior to work but I really was in need of a full 8 hours of sleep. The day prior I only had about 4 hrs of sleep due to me not going to bed until 3:30 PM and then having choir/band practice at 8 PM. Why, do you ask, did I stay up until 3:30 PM? Well, that is because I received a ton of care packages including some of the 14 boxes Ada High School sent. I had to go through the boxes, see what they contained and then distribute the items as needed. Honestly, I did that for a while and then my head medic took over. The mass care packages are overwhelming honestly. Especially when our mail was backed up for weeks and now we are getting everything all at once. I have never seen more beef jerky, random magazines, candy, and breath mints in my life! (Apparently, everyone believes that while you are deployed you will automatically have halitosis). I just got my uniquely stuffed box from my mother from 17 Nov. just yesterday. It contained a trash bag, that when opened revealed 6 or so mini loafs of homemade bread that was not, I'm afraid, safe to eat. The padding that my mother chose to use was a mixture of peanuts in the shell and Splenda packets. This, while a interesting choice of padding, was genius because I asked both for nuts and Splenda packets and did not specify how I wanted to receive them. (Mother, do not get offended by this story. It is awesome.) Cookies, I have found. keep wonderfully and for those of you who baked me some, they are delicious.
I have enjoyed all of your gifts and currently have a real mini christmas tree, Yoda lights in my office and in my room, a Willow movie figurine, a close up face mirror, new blush and eyeliner, (for church), a self warming vest, and a pair of dreidels. This is just a sample. For all of you who wrapped your gifts, I kept them for Christmas. With the exception of Aunt Vicki's large box in which I unconsciously ignored the obvious gift sacs and opened every thing in the box. ( I can only attribute these actions to the fact that it was the end of my shift and on the top of the box was the Yoda lights. I got all excited like JoJo the idiot circus boy with a pretty new pet and opened everything. The moral of the story is this: Don't allow me to make decisions on my own. If you want me to wait on gifts you must place a card inside the box, on top of the items, explicitly directing me what I can open. Therefore, leaving no choices up to me.)
As for the other items listed in the "title" line. This morning at about 1AM when I was eating breakfast, I looked down at what I was eating and was a tad disturbed. My breakfast consisted of more condiments then actual food. I have chosen to be on the South Beach Diet Phase 1 which is pretty strict with no carbs. Therefore, my breakfast was a salad with lettuce, tuna, tomatoes, and cucumbers. I had then topped it with mixture of fat free italian dressing, Caesar dressing, and taco sauce. On the side I chose to be classy and go for the green olives and pickles combo in which I dip into ketchup. My drink to go with this fantastic meal was coffee, a tropical blend, in which I like to use Splenda and some sort of peppermint flavoring. It sounds divine, I know.
P.S. MAJ Baumgartner really loves my care packages as well.....

No comments:

Post a Comment