Monday, February 8, 2010

down time



The last couple of days have been pretty bad weather with it raining, sleeting, or snowing. This has lended to some down time which is good of course because no one is flying or getting hurt but makes everyone a little antsy. Take my XO for example.....He decided that instead of having our weekly staff meeting, we would instead give each other IVs and stick tubes down each other's noses. This of course following a "hasty" demonstration and instruction via me. This went decently well considering that we had 10 non-medical people jamming sharp objects into arms and ramming lubricated plastic tubes in nostrils. One guy almost passed out.....almost. Restlessness is not good with a bunch of 20 year olds....I had to tell a private to get off the large storage container, (about a story high)....I then had to yell as he turned to jump off the top instead of using the obvious latter on the other side! These guys are amazing at making bad decisions. I am not exempt of course, ( I have had my string of bad decisions as some of you may know), I have a huge bruise on my right hip after being rammed into the wall during a very physical game of nerf basketball in a companies head quarters at 1AM. (I am sure this blog will be followed by emails and reminders via my mother and father to quit being risky with my health). I also have been caught up in some extensive snow ball fights involving both the Apache pilots and the Blackhawk pilots. I was so involved, I had to change my clothes after these fights, not because I was soaked from the snow but because I had sweat through my uniform. Let's just say that it involved some covert actions and hiding/sneaking up on people. Now, if it has snowed, I have to keep a look out while in transit from one place to another. I have made many enemies.
As for other things.....I finally got my kinetic watch in the mail. Why did you buy this you ask? Well, I thought I was genius for buying a solar powered watch prior to deploying. This would have been a good idea except for the minor detail that I work nights! I literally would walk around with a watch on my wrist with a blank face. It was that or I would have it on our deck charging half of the time. This kinetic watch charges by movement.....much better. I also am waiting for new sunglasses. The ones I have fall off my face! Also very annoying.
The pictures are random...One is of me getting my flight physical, (the hearing test, depth perception test, all at once) One is of all the people in my aid station during christmas, and the other of a snow ball fight.

4 comments:

  1. ow...................
    Oh, I don't mind a bruise in a basketball game. Not quite the same as other situations.
    Miss you at OTA.
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the video is you getting your nose probed. Quess what the word verifaction for that post was? enoses

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caton,we lost that video. Did you take it off?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget to entertain up with your blog. The thing people like about it is they can hear you in your writing. I often hear " I can just hear her saying that", as people read it. Brings us closer to you.

    ReplyDelete